Wide Open Media Group is recruiting an Assistant Editor for our original website, Wide Open Spaces. Wide Open Spaces is an outdoors industry authority that publishes over 500 articles a month on hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, DIY, and survival topics and earns over 5 million unique visitors each month.
**Candidates must currently reside in Austin, Texas or the greater area to be considered. We are not considering applicants outside of the area or state.**
The Wide Open Spaces Assistant Editor will work Monday-Friday in our offices in Downtown Austin (and at home evenings and weekends as necessary) and be tasked to edit content daily in our WordPress CMS for clarity, grammar, punctuation, voice, factuality and Wide Open Spaces style in an efficient and consistent manner. This individual will also write articles for Wide Open Spaces as needed.
This is a contract-to-hire position with the ability to earn a full-time, fully-benefitted role in a short period of time for the right person.
Our Ideal Candidate:
You are a self-motivated copy editing wizard who has extensive WordPress experience. Your copy editing skills are unquestioned, and you can spot a grammar, punctuation, and (with training) formatting mistake from a mile away. You know how to write a catchy headline and find an image that makes an article too difficult not to click. You’re ready, willing and able to work 40 hours a week here in our offices. You don’t quit working until the job’s finished, and finished right.
- At least one year to 18 months of website copy editing experience in a WordPress environment - you should know WordPress inside and out
- In-depth AP Style knowledge
- Web writing and copy editing savvy including no hangups with editing writers you will never meet in person
- Reliability and consistency with workload, punctuality, output and communication
- Ability to absorb constructive criticism and respond with improvement
- Online research abilities
- Strong headline writing skills
- Basic photo editing abilities
- Personal experience and knowledge with hunting, fishing and or shooting is a HUGE plus if not a must
- Learn and understand our content style and formatting requirements quickly and concretely
- Work to help us publish a higher volume of articles daily on Wide Open Spaces, with occasional night & weekend work required
- Be able to pick up and write some articles in WordPress when it's necessary for WOS
- Be proactive and recognize where we need help / identify process improvements and offer suggestions
- Stock options, 401K, subsidized transit passes and competitive medical/dental/vision benefits at full-time hire
- Quarterly office outings - we work hard and play harder
- Casual dress and casual environment - jeans and t-shirts are our style
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Close proximity to most of the major bus lines in Austin to make the commute easy
We look forward to your application!