Are you tired of people saying, “Everything but country,” when asked what their favorite music is? Do you have a connection to country music that goes beyond babes in denim shorts hanging out in the beds of pickups? Are you ready to shape the conversation around country music and its stars from a compassionate and knowledgeable perspective?
Rare Country is bringing its content to the next level and if you’re up for it, you can have a pivotal role in the development of the new editorial strategy for an online destination that’s by and for fans of country music and living. Consider Rare Country to be the voice of your oldest friend, one that you can talk shop to as easily as crack up with, while relaying and breaking news and lifestyle stories to our audience. We will offer an inclusive and diverse approach to country music content in its many forms, from NASCAR coverage to nostalgic Americana content, that speaks to America’s varied and engaged community of country fans.
We are looking for a Staff Writer to work directly with the Director of Editorial and Growth to craft the new brand vision for Rare Country while growing the online presence of the website through content. The Staff Writer will be a self-starter devoted to publishing timely lifestyle stories and breaking news. This role will be dedicated to growing the new brand vision for Rare Country through content creation.
This is a contract-to-hire position with substantial potential for growth for the right person.
- At least 2 years of fast-paced web writing experience covering news and lifestyle content for web publishers.
- At least 1 year of hands-on SEO writing experience.
- Knowledge of/experience with WordPress and/or WordPress VIP.
- Strong understanding of quality and engaging content with a focus on the Heartland audience.
- Ability to consistently source, conceptualize, pitch, and write new article ideas in a timely manner.
- Editorial experience in a web writing environment.
- Previous writing experience in a strong research and analytical role.
- Able to meet deadlines with exceptional time management skills and flexibility.
- A ‘doer’ with high enthusiasm, motivation, and organizational skills.
- Engaged with the conversation around American life. We’re not saying you’re Twitter famous, but you make a pointed effort to stay in the know around hot topics.
- Downtown Austin office
- Fast-paced and dynamic, but casual, startup environment
- Unlimited snacks and beverages
- Quarterly company outings
Apply with a copy of your most recent resume, links (only) to writing samples, and a short statement (~500 words) telling us why you would make the perfect Rare Country Staff Writer. Leave the cliches and fluffy copy; we care about breaking down barriers and expect that same quality and determination from our candidates.