Do you care more about sports than your own loved ones? Do people tend to avoid you during fantasy draft season? We think that’s normal, especially if you’re ready to start shaping the conversation around collegiate and professional sports in the Heartland.
Fanbuzz is changing the game and if you’re up for it, you can have a pivotal role in the development of the new editorial strategy for an online destination that’s by and for fans of sports culture, both collegiate and professional. Consider Fanbuzz to be the voice of your sports-obsessed college best friend that never grew out of the game. We will work to offer an inclusive and diverse approach to sports content in its many forms, from engaging and encouraging conversation with readers to tapping into nostalgia and Americana by focusing on the early days of the sport in question and its standout athletes.
We are looking for a Staff Writer to work directly with the Director of Editorial and Growth to craft the new brand vision for Fanbuzz while growing the online presence of the website through content. The Staff Writer will be a self-starter devoted to publishing timely lifestyle stories and breaking news. This role will be dedicated to growing the new brand vision for Fanbuzz through content creation.
This is a contract-to-hire position with substantial potential for growth for the right person.
- At least 2 years of fast-paced web writing experience covering news and lifestyle content for web publishers.
- At least 1 year of hands-on SEO writing experience.
- Knowledge of/experience with WordPress and/or WordPress VIP.
- Strong understanding of quality and engaging content with a sports-related focus and an understanding of internet sports readers.
- Ability to consistently source, conceptualize, and pitch new article ideas.
- Ability to pend well-written, grammatically correct articles in a highly timely manner.
- Editorial experience in a sports-driven web writing environment.
- Previous writing experience in a strong research and analytical role.
- Able to meet deadlines with exceptional time management skills and flexibility.
- A ‘doer’ with high enthusiasm, motivation, and organizational skills.
- A true sports fan. You can outdo your friends with your nitty gritty stats knowledge, while just as easily explaining the latest news and lifestyle stories to your mom.
- Downtown Austin office
- Fast-paced and dynamic, but casual, startup environment
- Unlimited snacks and beverages
- Quarterly company outings
Apply with a copy of your most recent resume, links (only) to writing samples, and a short statement (~500 words) telling us why you would make the perfect Fanbuzz Staff Writer. Leave the cliches and fluffy copy; we care about breaking down barriers and expect that same quality and determination from our candidates.