Do you have an undying love for anything NASCAR and nostalgic American car culture? Are you ready to shape the conversation around car culture and the auto industry in America from a knowledgeable, humorous perspective?
Alt Driver is changing gears and if you’re up for it, you can have a pivotal role in the development of the new editorial strategy for an online destination that’s by and for fans of car culture and gearhead lifestyles. Consider Alt Driver to be the voice of your car-obsessed cousin who knows how to mod their own vehicle as much as they love talking NASCAR stats over a cold beer. We will offer an inclusive and diverse approach to auto content in its many forms, from encouraging readers to engage in DIY projects to covering nostalgic Americana in car culture.
We will be looking for a Staff Writer to work directly with the Director of Editorial and Growth to craft the new brand vision for Alt Driver while growing the online presence of the website through content. The Staff Writer will be a self-starter devoted to publishing timely lifestyle stories and breaking news. This role will be dedicated to growing the new brand vision for Alt Driver through content creation.
This is a contract-to-hire position with substantial potential for growth for the right person.
- At least 2 years of fast-paced web writing experience covering news and lifestyle content for web publishers.
- At least 1 year of hands-on SEO writing experience.
- Knowledge of/experience with WordPress and/or WordPress VIP.
- Strong understanding of quality and engaging content with a focus on the Heartland audience of auto fans, from obsessive gearheads to casual culture interests.
- Ability to consistently source, conceptualize, and pitch new article ideas.
- Ability to pend well-written, grammatically correct articles in a highly timely manner.
- Editorial experience in a sports-driven web writing environment.
- Previous writing experience in a strong research and analytical role.
- Able to meet deadlines with exceptional time management skills and flexibility.
- A ‘doer’ with high enthusiasm, motivation, and organizational skills.
- A true auto fan, not a critic. You not only have knowledge of car and truck customization, classic cars/trucks, ATVs, RVs, motorcycles, and all related sports, but you can relate this in-depth knowledge to the casual reader.
- Downtown Austin office
- Fast-paced and dynamic, but casual, startup environment
- Unlimited snacks and beverages
- Quarterly company outings
Apply with a copy of your most recent resume, links (only) to writing samples, and a short statement (~500 words) telling us why you would make the perfect Alt Driver Staff Writer. Leave the cliches and fluffy copy; we care about breaking down barriers and expect that same quality and determination from our candidates.